homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

a jog down memory lane....


Tonight after I dropped off the boys at Scouts, I had to run to Costco -- and on the way there I tuned in to Lite 108 for their continuous Christmas Songs (which started before Thanksgiving this year I might add....) Anyway, an original version of Here Comes Santa Claus comes on and for some unknown reason I get all choked up and teary eyed and start bawling as I am singing all the words to this Christmas song! Now, I'm not normally an emotional gal (and I'm not pregnant so don't know where all the hormones were coming from...) but anyway, my mind started reminiscing back to my favorite Christmas (actually I have 2) from when I was a child. I remember I was 10 years old and in the 5th grade and there were 2 things on my Christmas list that I wanted really B.A.D. - a Cabbage Patch Doll (HAD to be a boy one...) and 10 speed bike. Well, Christmas morning came and it was beyond my wildest dreams -- there was my 10 speed - all red and silver and shiny (with the super skinny road tires - LOL) and I was sooooo thrilled... but then I looked down sitting in front of my new bike was... not one... but 2 Cabbage Patch Dolls - I had TWINS!!! 2 little boys (they were fraternal as one had brown hair and one had blonde). The brunette's name was Byron and the Blonde was named Abe (can't remember what names they originally came with but I renamed them and then had their Birth Certificates sent off to be "corrected" - hehehehe). We were living in Mississippi at the time (and with the weather being like 80!) I was able to go out and ride my bike and then come in and be a mother to my sweet little twin boys :) I recently came across of a photo of that Christmas (I think it's on my EHD so next time it's hooked up, I'll see if I can't find it to post :) Anyway, the song ended on the radio - I felt silly for crying at a fun, upbeat Christmas song - and walked into Costco with my happy memories still on my mind....

8 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

How sweet. my favorite Christmas was when I got my first Cabbage patch doll as well. My first (and only) boy cabbage patch doll's name was Gregorey. . . go figure. I had no idea I'd be married to a Gregg someday too :)

Lynette said...

That is too funny!!! Those kinds of crys make you feel good though huh!!! Glad you got to reminisce a bit today!

Amber said...

Ah that is so sweet. I love how we have such sweet memories of Christmas. I really love Christmas and the joy that always comes from it.

Kristy said...

THat is a great christmas memory! Don't feel silly about the tears, I do that sometimes too!

Unknown said...

That's a great story. Now you've got me thinking. It's really good to visit memories like that.

Cindi said...

That is a sweet memory. Tears are always good whether for happy or sad things. Thanks for Shandy, you are great!

The Legg Fam said...

How sweet & how wonderful to have such happy memories.Loved those Cabbage patch dolls. I appriciate how much work it must have been for my Mom to get me one. ( We lived in Argentina at the time.) It was truly a Christmas mirical. ( Mom came clean to me a few years later, and told me Elder Wells had smuggled it to Argentina for me. )

The Legg Fam said...

How sweet & how wonderful to have such happy memories.Loved those Cabbage patch dolls. I appriciate how much work it must have been for my Mom to get me one. ( We lived in Argentina at the time.) It was truly a Christmas mirical. ( Mom came clean to me a few years later, and told me Elder Wells had smuggled it to Argentina for me. )