homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, September 21, 2008

DNA test results are in....

any guesses??...... We got the girls' DNA tested earlier this month (which just involved swabbing the inside of their cheeks and sending it off to a lab in California) and the results came in a few days ago.... Aubrie and Lexi are IDENTICAL!! We either thought they had to be ID or very similiar fraternal twins. Here's a brief science lesson for everyone :) After an egg is fertilized, if it splits between days 3-5 (while it is still in the fallopian tube) they will have seperate placentas and seperate sacs (which was the case with the girls). If twins share a sac or placenta - they don't split until day 9 (and if it splits after day 9 - it will result in conjoined twins). At that stage of development (the first 2 weeks) cells are doubling at such an exponential rate that twins that are *together* longer (like until day 9 vs. splitting earlier at day 5) will typically look more alike since they are the exact same unit for such a long period of time (in regards to development). Once an egg splits different genes can turn on and off (and result in identicals having their differences - such as: Lexi is tongue tied and Aubrie's not... Lexi has a birth mark on her arm and Aubrie has a freckle on her leg whereas the other one doesn't etc...). Something else that's kinda cool is that only 9% of all twins are like Aubrie and Lexi (being ID and having seperate sacs and placentas) so it's not that common. 30% of all twins are Identical (and of that 30% only a smaller % have seperate "stuff") so that is why it's more common than not to have fraternal twins. Regardless of how the test results came back - really wouldn't have changed anything (except now we know what to tell people when we get that #1 questions... so are they ID?? hehehhe). Also, ID twins are just spontaneous and have no factors based on heredity. So there's your biology lesson for today! LOL
so I'll end with some cute pics of my little ID girlies...

5 comments:

Kristy said...

They are so darn cute!!! I can't get over it, everytime I see them I just smile. That is so cool that they are ID.

Kerrie said...

I'm sure it would be fun to have twins, but even more fun to have identical twins and then even MORE fun to have identical CUTE twins. You are one lucky lady! (=

Unknown said...

Hey Lady,
Sorry I missed you at Christy's b-day dinner. I was hoping to catch up, but then you visited my blog and I was able to return the favor. What blessings you have! You are one amazing woman for all you do. Where are you going to WW now? Take care.

Busy Lady said...

I thought they looked too alike to be fraternal but you never know. I have a friend whose twins looked identical, but she always told me they were fraternal (according to tests) and when they got older they definitely looked different. What fun your two are going to have tricking people when they can't tell them apart, I always wanted to do that when I was a kid!! Fun biology lesson by the way. I'm glad I found your blog while blog hopping. Cute pictures of your kids!!!
-Nicole

Handsfullmom said...

So adorable! Your photos are so great!