homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Resident Pervs and Long Hair

So Shandy and I went to an early Valentine's Day party on Friday night. They did a quiz on how well you know your spouse and we ended up tying with two other couples for first and after a gruelling match of paper, rock, scissors we won the grand prize. First of all, let me say, the paper, rock scissors game was quite impressive. I was up against a dude named Keith and he and I threw the same object like probably 1o times in a row before I changed my strategy and beat his rock with my paper. It was odd. Anyhoo, one of the items in our gift bag was red velvet covered handcuffs which was appropriate since we both answered that if our love life (meaning whoopee - their words, not mine) were a holiday it would be Halloween - full of tricks and treats. So, I guess it's official, we are now the resident pervs of the ward.

Moving on...

While in Nebraska over Christmas, Shandy and I went to see Twilight again. I was admiring how nice Edwards hair was and thinking I'd like to climb up into it and take a nap. I mean the dude has awesome hair and I say that in a totally non-gay way.

I then started to lament my own male pattern baldness and how I would never be able to have a thick head of hair again. Don't get me wrong, I like shaving my head. I think it works for me. With the military for the last 12 years, I've had to keep my hair short. At first I wore a high and tight and then as the bald spot got bigger, I just started hitting it with the bic. It wasn't always like that, though. From 88-91, I rocked the mullet. Business up front, party in the back. My mull was fierce. When Shandy and I first started dating, my hair hung down to my jaw line.

I then started to think about the boys. I have been giving them high and tights for years now.
In fact in the above pic, they were due for a haircut. I started to realize that I was cheating them out of the opportunity to have bushy, unruly hair. Just because I have to keep my hair short doesn't mean they have to. I had a talk with them the next day and told them that basically, I wouldn't cut their hair again unless they wanted me to. I told them they could grow it out and do whatever they would like with a few stipulations:
1. They still needed to look respectful. The hair can grow out but I don't want them to look like girls
2. They would have to take care of it and keep it clean and not look like a bunch of grease balls
So far they are all enjoying the new follicle freedom. August and Seth are letting their tops grow out but have both requested a little trim around the ears. Ben has yet to request anything. We'll see how it turns out.

4 comments:

Jalene said...

My husband has been telling our two littlest to ask for mullets when I cut their hair. Their exact words are..."business in the front, party in the back" LOL!!

Busy Lady said...

Jon, your posts are always so funny! I had to laught about the "business in the front, party in the back" part too. The 80's were just too much with the hair. I like that you give your boys freedom though and I really appreciate how many men in our ward are comfortable with a shaved head, it is so cool! Congrats on winning at the party, we really wanted to come but we had a school function for our oldest boy. You guys are a fun couple though, so I am not surprised that you won.

Rummfor5 said...

MY HOT Gman had a mullet when we met :D He's hoping that one never bites him in the behind when our boys are older "Dad you had long hair"
As for our boys, I refuse to cut our baby's hair (he's 19 months old).
I can't stand the thought of chopping off his sweet baby locks.
And he doesn't know everyone thinks he's a girl :)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Jon, you crack me up. . climb up in his hair and take a nap. And the handcuff thing, too funny coming from a ward party. You should have uploaded that picture from the JR. High yearbook of you with a sweet mullet, but shaved sides.