homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How it all started....

16 years ago today was the beginning of "John and Shandy"....
It was a Wednesday night and I had just gotten back from Young Women's (I was 17) and I was writing in my journal before bed. It was just a little after 9 and the phone rang. I answered it and the voice asked for Shandy. I answered "This is she..." and then the voice on the other end mysteriously changed to be one with a Mexican accent and he proceeded to say that his posse and him were going to be riding into town in his low rider and wanted to know if I would go along on a date. I then had to ask who it was - LOL.. he said it was "John... from McDonalds" (we had worked together at McD's but I had been in another relationship at the time and he got wind that we had broken up and so jumped at the chance to call me :)
I accepted his invitation and on Friday night he picked me up in his Maroon Ford Tempo. After we got into his car he started fiddling with his ear and I was like "what are you doing?" and he said "oh, putting in my earring... I didn't think it'd go over too well with your dad." (now my boys will never be allowed to wear an earring but.... my Johnny sure looked H.O.T. wearing a little gold hoop!!!) So that was the beginning of US... 2 days later he stuck a homemade valentines in my mailbox and has been such the romantic ever since!

Here were some old pics of us from some of the dances he took me to back in high school (I was a senior and he was a freshman at BSU)...

please excuse all of the dust! I didn't feel like redoing them... but enjoy a blast from the past :)

14 comments:

Cindi said...

Awesome pictures and great story of how John asked you on your first date.

Jamie and Lindsey said...

That was way To cute! I love how he was so into you even early on! Those pictures are to funny, I had no idea John had glasses. He doesn't look like the glasses type to me. Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Girl! Between John's post and now this one I am crying from laughing so hard! You two certainly are one of a kind! I love that about the two of you!
Blast from the past pictures are the best! Classic!

Lynette said...

Shandy....love the story and the pics!!!

The Coe's said...

That was a great post! I think everyone should post how they met their honey in tribute to V-day, it's fun learning those little details about everyone!
And dont worry... Chris had an ear ring too, AND long hair, AND not a MO! Dad was sure thrilled with that one!

Alli said...

LOVE the pictures!!!

Bonnie said...

Hey Shandy! I am so glad you left me a new comment... I have been kind of disappointed because every time I clicked on the page I had bookmarked on my computer for your blog it took me to your Sept. 20th, 2008 post. I thought you just weren't posting anything new. What a fun surprise when I clicked on your link and saw tons of new posts and pics! Your girls are getting huge and your fam is adorable :)

The Legg Fam said...

I love the pictures, and the story. Gave me a good laugh. Thanks!!

Cathy said...

Fun story! And I like the pictures - if not for the current pictures you post, that's how I think of the both of you looking - have 16 years really gone by?

Kristy said...

That is an awesome story and some great pics to go with it! What a fun way to start your courtship!

Rummfor5 said...

I love that story :)
The photos are awesome :D HEE!
You were a beautiful girl. But you know what/ You're TOTALLY GETTING BETTER with age! I think you are more beautiful now than you were then! How many women can say that? (not many! not me!).

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Shandy, this is too funny, the whold mexican accent thing. . .and I love that you were writing in your journal when he called. . . did you have a side ponytail that night? Just wondering! What a great love story!

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

You have always made me laugh. I remember you telling me these events in real time. The re-told story is still hilarious. I remember thinking, gee Shandy always gets the bad boys-how does she do it? You need to write a how-to book (after your kids are grown and safely married to respectable people)-Ha ha.
Kerry

Heidabelle said...

Sweet specs, bro!