homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

my "bad boy" husband

So something quite interesting was brought to my attention this past week... that I'm married to a "bad boy"! and with those words being in quotations -- you know it's serious! We're talking mullet wearing, guitar playing, and "combs in the back pocket" cool!

So let the story begin....

John grew up in a very small town in Alaska and since being on facebook he has been able to reconnect with most of the kids he grew up with. One of these friends wrote me an email directing me to her own blog post that she made a while back and thought I'd find it funny (and I did!). After reading it I asked if it would be ok to share bits of what she wrote along with the photos and she was more than happy to oblige :)

(preface: the original blog post was about how they didn't have any stores in Valdez to buy the "big" earrings that were all the rage in the 80's and so she made her own by cutting out pictures of earrings from catalogs and glueing them onto cardboard -- (quite creative, I must say! LOL)... below is taken from her blog...)

"...I had a whole jewelry box full of these cardboard babies, but I don’t remember wearing them. Except around my bedroom. Like some middle school fantasy dress-up diva.... I did have a pair that I thought were scandalous. And I thought it would be really "Suggestive" if I ever wore them (they said "Soft Shoulder" and were road sign ones), so I just dreamed about wearing them and having a boy ask me if my shoulders were really soft. Oooh, the excitement of that question was almost too much for my 7th grade mind. And the boys I dreamed about were Troy Fenner, Matt Kiser and John Vogt. They were the boys with the coolest mullets and the combs in their back pockets. Now that my daughter is in Middle School I watch her like a hawk. Mostly, to see if she's as weird as I was and also to see if she likes the "Bad Boys" like I did. I am so afraid, she does share my DNA, you know!! These photos were taken in 1988, when I was in 8th grade. They are of Matt Kiser, Lance Komkoff and John Vogt."



John is on the far right in both photos... and were from their 8th grade yearbook.
as I was telling this story to my friend, she matter of fact stated... "well, that's what attracted you to John in the first place - that he was a "bad boy" with his long hair and earring (and that he wasn't a member of the LDS church)."
YIKES! she was right! I guess I'll be much like this gal when the twins are in middle school to see if they too, are drawn to the bad boys -- let's hope not because I don't think their dad will stand for it! LOL

8 comments:

Johnny/Gus said...

For the record, my mullet was a thing of beauty but I was the farthest thing from a bad boy, even though I wanted to look like one. The pics are from our yearbook and showcase our "band" we named "Mörgue".

Johnny/Gus said...

Also, in these pics, my mullet was still in it's infancy and did not fully attain it's majestic presence until later that year.

The Legg Fam said...

Oh, my heck!!! I can't belive it. You guys are so Great. Loved the story. Way to be Gus. You are like totally cool.

Jamie and Lindsey said...

I love the pictures and the whole story. I had a good laugh, thanks

Busy Lady said...

How funny! You married the bad boy lady, that is too much. I love it!! The pictures are great, I wish I had some of my hubby in high school, they change so much (I guess that is a good thing though). Now John will be watching over your daughters like a hawk to protect them from "the bad boys" of their day. It all comes full circle doesn't it?!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Shandy, This post made my day and made me laugh.

John, I forgot you went by Gus. I'm gonna have to dig around and see if I can find any other dirt on you, your wife seems to like it. My above mentioned daughter has taken to reading those same Jr. Hi. Yearbooks and noticed that you signed your school photo, "The John" She thought that was pretty hilareous!

I really do hope our families can meet someday, but don't worry, I won't wear my "Soft Shoulders" earrings. My Gs get in the way.

Rummfor5 said...

MY man also had a mullet when I met him. And he wore ripped jeans, that were oh so tight (what a fine behind). And a leather jacket. :)
He was supa hawt. And my LDS friends were so scared for me dating a bad boy. Until they met Gman and got to see how goofy and genteel he was.
I'll never forget the dance we went to though, Gman all rocked out, his hair Fierce and my friend pulling me aside and saying "do you know what you're doing? PLease be careful"
Hilarious, no? :D
* * * *
Things turned out well for us both. ;)

Lynette said...

Did Johnny ever get the mullet poster he was yearning for? Might have to track one down for you bad boy hubs!!!

Great pics by the way!!!