homePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Blog Challenge #32

Today's challenge is to post about our first date with the man we ended up marrying :) alright... so here goes. I was a senior in highschool and I remember it was a Wednesday night around 9pm and the phone rang. I was writing in my journal about the days events (and then totally had some juice to write about after the phone call!). Anyway this is a rundown of the conversation...

Boy: Is Shandy There?
Me: This is she...
Boy (all of a sudden changing his voice to talk with a Mexican accent): Hey.. me and my posse are comming to town and wanted to know you'd like to go for a ride in my low-rider...
Me: Who is this?!

Anyway, the voice tells me that it's John Vogt and he asks if I 'd like to go out that Friday night. I say "yes" and then immediately after I say "yes" he says "Ok... bye" and hangs up!

Fast Forward to Friday night... the doorbell rings and he has a rose for me and I think he looks TOTALLY HOT!!! He said that he wanted us to "dress up" a bit... so he was in some jeans, a teal colored silk shirt with a peach and teal tie (Ok ladies -- this WAS the early 90's! LOL). Me? I was wearing some teal colored pants (yes.. TEAL was in!!) and a cream sweater with my hair pulled up on the sides!... ok... so we get into his car and he starts fiddling with his ear and I'm like "what are you doing?" and he says "Putting my earring back in... didn't think that'd go over too well with your parents....". It was a little gold hoop and it just made him THAT more attractive to me! YOWZERS!!! hehehehh

So we head down to the Kyoto Japanese Steak House -- but the wait was like L.O.N.G. so we settled for the next best thing -- the buffet at the Sizzler! LOL After that we headed to downtown Boise and watched "Summersby" at the 8th St. Marketplace theatre. We had a little bit of time before the movie started so we strolled downtown for bit waiting for it to start. I remember her grabbed my hand during this walk :)

After the movie we were heading home and we came to an intersection and John asked "Which way is faster to get you home?" I told him. He then turned the oppossite way and said "I want as much time with you as possible."... isn't he sweet!!?

So we get to my house and he's walking me up to the front door. Now, I had promised my friend that I would NOT kiss him on the first date -- so this is running through my mind... we get to the door... he leans in for a kiss and... I dash in the house and slam the door in his face! I had to keep my promise, right? LOL...

Well.. that was the beginning of John and Shandy -- Feb. 10, 1993. Here's a picture of us on the day we got engaged (the first time -- on Sept 5, 1993). I scanned in a picture of us at a high school dance.. but it got "lost" on my hard drive... so this will have to do... also - sorry for all the dust specks -- I DEFINITELY need to clean the scanner! LOL... enjoy!

10 comments:

Patrice~ said...

Shandy, that is the best 'first date' story ever! You two are so darned cute! Yay!!

Lisa said...

ROFLMBO at the Mexican posse and a spin on the "low rider" very very cute story!

Anonymous said...

aaaw. I liked that story.
You, of course, created a demand to hear about the "engaged. .. the first time"
So. We now need to hear the engaged StorieS (two of them!!? !!!)

Sounds like John was smitten with you from the get go. Where did you guys meet though. Were you in the same hs?
How much older is he?
yep. I want the dirt, girl.
;P

Jenn~ said...

That's a great memory, Shandy, but I, too, am intrigued about being engaged "the first time" What gives??????

Stacy Armentrout Skinner said...

What a cute story! Thanks for sharing.

Christi said...

only John would ask a girl out with a Mexican accent!! LOL

HG said...

I hadn't stopped by your family blog in awhile. That's so cute! DH and I met in 1992, lol. Ah, the memories :)

Rachael said...

What a great first date!!

Kimberly said...

awwww.....seriously?! he went the other way??? love love love that story!!

Heidabelle said...

Ahhhh hahahaha! I never knew my brother was so suave in such a dorky way! I mean I knew he was funny and a huge geek. The best is that I can imagine him doing all of this, and being completely unabashed.

Love you guys.